Are you looking for new and innovative ways to reach out to more people akin to your ideal customers? Well, it is your lucky day!
Sure, having so many options for our Facebook advertising strategy is fantastic, but researching the different targeting options and criteria can be overwhelming.
Facebook Lookalike Audiences are a game-changer in this regard.
Lookalike Audiences on Facebook can help you find new, ideal customers. It is a strong tool for improving Facebook ad targeting, allowing you to use what you have learned about your most successful customers to target new people who are likely to be good potential customers as well.
Read on to learn how to increase your ad targeting by using Facebook Lookalike Audiences effectively.
Facebook Lookalike Audiences: Explained
Lookalike audiences on Facebook are a more complex targeting option that exceeds basic interest and demographic targeting. They are considered the most effective Facebook targeting tool for locating your ideal customer right now.
A source audience on which a lookalike audience gets built is at the heart of all lookalike audiences. Facebook uses a defined percentage sample of the population in your chosen country to locate new, comparable people utilizing all of the data points from your source audience.
You can use data from the following sources to generate a source audience:
- App activity: App administrators can collect data on people who have installed their app using active Facebook SDK event tracking.
- Customer Information: This usually comes from a customer file list or a newsletter subscription list. You have the option of uploading a.txt or.csv file or copying and pasting your data.
- Engagement: People who engage with your content and material on Facebook or Instagram make up an engaged audience.
- Website Visitors: You will need the Facebook pixel installed to create a custom audience based on website visitors. Pixel allows you to construct an audience of people who have come to your website, looked at a product page, and made a purchase, among other things.
- Offline Activity: You can make a list of persons who came into contact with your company in person, over the phone, or through another offline channel.
Lookalike audiences are best employed at the top of the sales funnel to target new cold audiences. You could, for example, launch top-of-funnel content campaigns for all of your lookalike audiences. As you move from the top to the bottom of the funnel, this will begin to warm them up.
Why use Facebook Lookalike Audiences?
Lookalike Audiences is a standout among the many ad forms available on Facebook.
But, why? Here are a few of its key advantages:
- Lookalike Audiences help you generate more value from your audience. Once you have a Custom Audience fine-tuned, Lookalike Audiences allow you to take that audience a step further to get more value out of your efforts.
- Lookalike Audiences deliver results, as opposed to producing something cold. This hotter lead indication is because they get based on characteristics that indicate user interest.
- Lookalike Audiences are a great way to augment your current ads. Lookalike Audiences allow you to experiment and target numerous audiences simultaneously without running completely different ads, which helps you stretch your social media budget.
Creating Different Types of Lookalike Audiences
After going through the must-knows of Lookalike Audiences, you will now learn how to create four types of lookalike audiences.
Creating Page Likes Lookalike Audiences
Lookalike audiences for page likes are the simplest to create because they make up your Facebook page's fans. A page likes lookalike audience is a terrific approach to uncover new similar target audiences if you have a significant number of Facebook fans that regularly engage with your organic posts.
Unlike the following three lookalike audiences, you do not need to develop a bespoke audience for your source audience.
- Create a Lookalike Audience in Facebook Ads Manager's Audiences dashboard by clicking Create Audience and selecting Lookalike Audience.
- Select your page name from the Source drop-down list in the Create a Lookalike Audience box.
- Then decide on your target country and audience size.
Creating Video Lookalike Audiences
Every day, Facebook users watch 100 million hours of video, so it is no wonder that video is the most popular type of content on the platform.
Moreover, you can quickly establish brand familiarity and trust with your target audience by using video. Lookalike audiences let you find new people based on those who have already seen your videos. You are running a video-based content strategy and want to scale your campaigns to reach additional people.
However, you must first establish a bespoke video audience, the source audience for the lookalike, before creating a video lookalike audience.
To create a custom video audience:
- Access your Audiences dashboard in the Facebook Ads Manager. To do so, go to the menu bar and select All Tools. From there, choose Audiences from the Assets menu.
- Select Custom Audience from the drop-down option after clicking Create Audience. You will notice four custom audience options in the pop-up box that appears. After, select Engagement on Facebook.
- After that, choose Video. You will see a box where you can customize your video audience.
- Finally, from the Engagement drop-down menu, select your engagement parameters and the videos from which you wish to grow your following. Create an audience by defining the period, giving it a name, and clicking Create Audience.
You are now ready to start building your video lookalike audience.
- To begin, go to your Ads Manager's Audiences dashboard.
- Then, from the Create Audience drop-down menu, select Lookalike Audience.
- There are three fields in the Create a Lookalike Audience box: Source, Country, and Audience Size. Select the custom video audience you defined in the previous step as the source. After that, select your country. Finally, decide on the size of your audience.
- Then, click Create Audience. Once your lookalike audience has been prepared and is ready to use, Facebook sends you a notification. This process can take up to 30 minutes.
Creating Email List Lookalike Audiences
Because you can use your existing customer list as the source for your lookalike audience, basically cloning your client base, email-based lookalike audiences frequently give the best results.
If you don't have an email list, you can gather emails of users in your niche using Leadzy.
Before establishing an email-based lookalike audience, you will need a custom email audience of your subscribers or customers. To do this:
- Select Custom Audience from the drop-down option on the Audiences dashboard, then click Create Audience.
- First, you need to select Customer File from the first pop-up box. You have two options when entering your email data: upload it as a file/copy and paste it, or import it from MailChimp. Choose a File or Copy and Paste the Data if you are uploading your email list.
- After that, you will need to upload the email list.
- After that, map your identifiers. The more identifiers you utilize, the higher the match rate.
- Finally, you will notice a progress meter and the number of rows of data successfully uploaded once you click Upload & Create.
- Finally, click Create a Lookalike Audience under Next Steps.
Now, to build an Email Lookalike Audience:
- Choose a target country where the majority of your email list originates. Ensure you pick an area with a sizable portion of your audience. Start with a 1% lookalike audience and work your way up from there.
- Then select Create Audience.
Creating Conversion Lookalike Audiences
Using a website custom audience of users who have completed a specific conversion event, conversion lookalike audiences allow you to find new target audiences.
Create a website custom audience of users who have triggered a lead event action by opting in for a discount code, for example, if you are an eCommerce shop running a discount code lead magnet. Then, as a source for your lookalike audience, employ that audience.
To create a conversion lookalike audience, you first need to create the source audience just like you did for your video and email lookalike audiences. Here’s how to create a source audience from conversions:
- Click Create Audience in your Facebook Ads Manager Audiences dashboard and choose Custom Audience from the drop-down menu.
- Then, select Website Traffic in the pop-up box.
- Now, select Custom Combination from the Website Traffic drop-down menu.
- Then select Event from the URL drop-down option. Choose the event from which you want to draw your audience (for example, Lead). You will see a list of event activities that the Facebook pixel is now tracking.
- Enter the time parameter for how long people will stay in your audience once they have accomplished the precise action in the field called In the Last.
- Finally, check the box next to Include Past Website Traffic, name your audience, and click Create Audience.
Now, you are ready to create a Website Custom Audience for Conversions:
- Select Lookalike Audience from the drop-down menu on the Audiences dashboard, then click Create Audience.
- Choose your website’s custom audience from the Source drop-down list in the Create a Lookalike Audience box.
- Then choose your country and the size of your audience. Starting with 1% is a smart place to start.
- Finally, click Create Audience and sit back while Facebook creates your lookalike audience.
Lookalike Audiences are a fantastic resource for social media marketers. One of the benefits of adopting lookalike audiences is the ability to swiftly and effectively scale your ads.
They can take time to master, just like any other sort of ad, but they are undoubtedly worth pursuing. Now that you know how to construct a Facebook Lookalike Audience, it is time to think about how these ads fit your social media strategy.